Why Protein is Critical to Building Muscle
Most of us are looking for the ideal supplement to increase lean muscle and burn fat. Walk into any GNC, Walmart, or type "Protein" into Google and we are all overwhelmed with choices. Which type is best, and Why... Whey? Casein?
Proteins are the main building blocks of the human body; the contractile elements in your muscles, and used to make various important things, including tendons, organs and skin, as well as hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters and various molecules.
They’re assembled from amino acids, smaller molecules that are linked together like beads on a string. Some amino acids are produced by your body's cells, while others are supplied by the food you eat. The ones that you must get from foods are termed essential amino acids.
"Numerous studies show that quality protein it essential to increase strength, gain lean muscle and lose significant amounts of body fat"
Did you know that The SYSTEM by SSP Nutrition not only has the highest grade essential proteins but it's also complaint with the WADA 2018 Prohibited List AND Banned Substance Control Group certified? Click here to learn more!
One of the best-studied supplements in the world, Whey Protein is a semi-clear, liquid byproduct of cheese production. Once thrown away as waste, it was discovered that it’s a complete protein and that it’s abundant in an amino acid known as leucine. Leucine is an essential amino acid that plays a key role in initiating protein synthesis.
Milk contains two main types of protein: casein (80%) and whey (20%)
FIVE KEY BENEFITS OF WHEY
- It provides protein and amino acids, which serve as building blocks for increased muscle growth
- It increases the release of anabolic hormones that can stimulate muscle growth, such as insulin
- Leucine: It’s high in the amino acid leucine, which is known to stimulate muscle protein synthesis at the molecular and genetic level
- Fast Absorption: Whey protein is absorbed and utilized very quickly compared to other types of protein
- Whey protein has been shown to be particularly effective at increasing muscle growth when consumed right before, after or during a workout. Muscle protein synthesis is usually maximized in the time period after training
SSP Lean Muscle Activator is a Certified Drug free Whey / Casein Blend loaded with an additional 2.5g of Leucine, Fat Burning MCT's, and all of the vitamins and minerals to prepare you for your next awesome workout!
Derived from milk, (like whey protein), Casein Protein is a naturally more abundant source of branched chain amino acids. Often referred to by “milk protein,” around 80 percent of the protein found in cow’s milk is casein , and it also makes up 20 to 40 percent of human breast milk. It’s also abundant in raw sheep cheese, a pure source of casein.
- Casein “lasts” longer in your system. Arguably, casein's greatest strength is timing. Casein has the ability to provide your bloodstream with a slow and steady flow of amino acids that could last for hours.
- Casein yields greater gains. Increased Muscle Gains is one of the main benefits of a casein protein supplement.
- Increased Fat Loss: The use of casein protein supplements is both beneficial in increasing muscle mass and a proven advantage for fat loss.
- Explosive Strength: Athletes are looking for good supplements to increase lean muscle and strength. By gaining more strength, athletes are able to perform better and longer, but will also find that their weight training becomes a little easier.
- Finally, the last benefit you'll receive by introducing casein protein into your diet is that of it being one of the best high quality sources of protein available.
Casein, like whey and other protein foods, is made up of various “building blocks” called essential and non-essential amino acids. The human body is able to make certain amino acids on its own (called non-essential) while others it cannot (called essential), making the essential kinds crucial to get through the foods you eat. Since plant foods don’t always provide the complete set of essential amino acids we need, animal foods and protein powders are one way people make sure they cover their protein bases.
Very important for individuals who are training, building lean muscle, and burning fat, casein protein is digested slower than whey, causing a smaller spike in amino acids in the blood, but a steadier release over the course of several hours.
Find the BEST Brands
Like so many things in life, Not all protein is created equal. It is very important to do your research and select products that are certified drug free. Two trusted sources that guarantee the supplement has been tested to conform with the WADA "Prohibited List" are https://www.bscg.org/ and http://informed-choice.org/
Whey protein contains an incredible range of essential amino acids and other nutrients. The best-known use of whey & casein protein supplements is for the purpose of increasing muscle mass and strength
- Proteins that supply all nine essential amino acids are the best, and both whey and casein protein are loaded with them. Whey is particularly high in important branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) like leucine, and also contains a high amount of cysteine.
- Studies show that leucine is the most anabolic (growth-promoting) amino acid, and cysteine can help boost levels of the cellular antioxidant glutathione.
- Whey protein appears to be particularly effective at stimulating growth in humans. In fact, human breast milk is 60% whey, compared to 20% in cow's milk
- Whey protein can be taken anytime, but it’s particularly effective as a post-workout source of protein because it’s rapidly digested, which causes a dramatic spike in amino acids in the blood (especially in leucine). This, in turn, may stimulate more immediate muscle growth than slower-burning proteins.
The SSP POST WORKOUT FORMULA is designed specifically to increase workout recovery, build lean muscle, and burn fat.
To increase recovery & repair muscles effectively the body must synthesize protein, which is best triggered by glycogen replenishment. A common mistake of taking protein-heavy supplements immediately after a workout is proven ineffective. Without an insulin spike and glycogen replenishment, protein synthesis cannot occur. In fact, the most important macronutrients to take immediately after a workout are carbohydrates. Numerous studies have shown that in order to receive the greatest recovery an athlete should take a 3:1 carbohydrate/protein ratio sports drink immediately after a workout.
Types of WHEY
Concentrate: About 70–80% protein; contains some lactose (milk sugar) and fat and has the best flavor.
Isolate: 90% protein, or higher; contains less lactose and fat and lacks a lot of the beneficial nutrients found in whey protein concentrate.
Hydrolysate: Also known as hydrolyzed whey, this type has been pre-digested so that it gets absorbed faster. It causes a 28–43% greater spike in insulin levels than isolate (11).